Friday 9 March 2012

Ruined chimney at the Coal Bank cotton-spinning mill in Carr Woods about 1980.


The Coal Bank cotton-spinning mill complex beside the Naden brook, in Carr Woods, near Norden, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, which is also known as Fester Clough at Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SD 85592 14167  came into use in the 1800s, but, then later it became a bleach works - one of many in this area - such as for example the Deeply Vale Mills. The Coal Bank mill finally closed down in the early part of the 20th century.The photo (above) shows the old brick chimney belonging to the works, which was, sadly, pulled down in 2006.

This colour photo shows the cobbled and flagged walkway over the Naden brook at the site of Coal Bank mill in Carr Woods (Wolstenholme Fold), near Norden. The photo is from the 1980s when the place was being tidied up. Some of the ruins still quite visible at either side of the path and brook.


A rough map drawn by myself, from memory, in the late 1970s of Carr Woods showing where the Coal Bank mill was located and the ruined chimney etc. I have put the ruined buildings on to show the probable likely location, again from memory. [Map not to scale]


Map showing the general area of Carr Woods with the site of the Coal Bank mill/works roughly in the centre just to the left of the old mill chimney where the Naden brooks flows merrily along in the direction of Norden.




2 comments:

  1. Most interesting and a nice map too.
    I was walking around this area on 8th April 2012 looking for any visible mining remains.
    "Blackpits Road" and "Coal Bank" had attracted my interest.
    Walking down the Naden Brook to my home in Heywood I did come across a couple of springs gushing out ochre laden water.
    Do you have any recollections of any mining remains in this area?

    Nick B

    sorry about the deletions and re-postings - it's my poor spelling I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nick, Its a long time since I looked around there. I was at school in Bamford in the early 1970s and Carr Woods and Washwheel was where I went in the evenings. I can remember the mill site and its chimney and I think another ruined mill further up called Deeply Vale. However, I don't really remember much in the way of mineworkings, though I'm sure there were some. Altogether a very interesting area. I would like to come over and take some photos but sadly I am restricted in not having transport or being reliant on a friend living in Preston - so it might be a while yet. Do you have any photos of that area. If so please let me know, or indeed any other info would be most appreciated. The map is one I drew from memory in the late 70s but its pretty good, actually. I imagine the place looks a lot different now. Thanks very much for your interest. Best wishes, Ray.

    ReplyDelete